Erik S. Reinert
Erik S. Reinert is professor of Technology Governance and Development Strategies at Tallinn University of Technology, Estonia, and Senior Research Fellow at NORISS, Norwegian Institute of Strategic Studies, in Oslo. He is Founder and Chairman of the Other Canon Foundation.
His research interests and publications focus around the theory of uneven development, the history of economic thought and policy, and the role of the state in the process of economic development. As a consultant, his emphasis is on industrial and economic policy, the preconditions and management of innovations, and the relations between financial and production capital.
Reinert was born in Oslo, Norway, attended the University of St. Gallen in Switzerland (where he studied economics), Harvard University (MBA), and Cornell University (Ph.D, economics). Already during his studies, he spent time in Latin America, working with a community development project in the Peruvian Andes, with UNCTAD, and in private industry. In 1972 he founded and later developed a small industrial firm (color sampling to the paint and automotive industries) in Bergamo, Italy. Adding production plants also in Norway and Finland, this company developed into the leading European firm of its kind.
After selling the company in order to pursue his scholarly and policy interests, Reinert worked as a Senior Researcher for the STEP Group in Oslo, later to become Director of Research of Norsk Investorforum. He also held a part-time position at The Centre for Development and the Environment (SUM), a research institution established by the University of Oslo. Leaving these positions in 2000, he founded The Other Canon Foundation, a small center and network for heterodox economics research that organizes regular conferences. Since 2004, he is Professor of Technology Governance and Development Strategies at the Tallinn University of Technology in Tallinn, Estonia. Starting in 2005, he also serves as Senior Research Fellow at NORISS, the new Oslo-based Norwegian Institute of Strategic Studies. Professor Reinert, who lectures in five languages, has given seminars and lectures worldwide, and has been visiting professor at ESAN University, Lima, Peru, Universidade Federal do Rio De Janeiro and, at the Asia-Europe Institute of the University of Malaya, Kula Lumpur.
His e-mail is: email@example.com
List of Publications.
- 'President Velasco's Third Way: A Strategy for Change' (with Jaroslav Vanek) in Annals of Public and Co-operative Economy, Vol. 49, No. 2, April-June, 1978, pp. 163-176. French edition in Annales de l'Economie Publique, Sociale et Cooperative (Liège), Vol. 66, No. 2, 1978: 'Une Stratègie pour le Changement', pp. 125-140. German edition in Annalen der Gemeinwirtschaft (Berlin), Vol. 47, No. 2, 1978: 'Eine Strategie des Wandels', pp. 113-129. Spanish translation in Socialismo y Participación (Lima), No. 5, December 1978: 'La tercera vía del Presidente Velasco, una estrategia del cambio', pp. 61-71.
- 'Rendimientos decrecientes y el costo de la especializacièn en la produccièn primaria en el caso de Ecuador' (Diminishing returns and the costs of specialisation in primary production: The case of Ecuador) in Comercio y Desarrollo (Mexico City), Vol. 3, No. 16, 1980, pp. 4-14.
- International Trade and the Economic Mechanisms of Underdevelopment. Ph D. thesis, Cornell University, Ann Arbor, Michigan, University Microfilms, 1980.
- 'Industripolitikk og u-landsproblematikk - to sider av samme sak' (Industrial policy and Third World development policy - two sides of the same (theoretical) coin), NTNF (Norway's Technical and Scientific Research Council) Fremtidsrettet Teknologipolitikk (Future oriented technology policy), Fremtek-Notat No. 22/92, Oslo.
- 'Porter-prosjektet, økonomisk teori og norsk industripolitikk' (The Porter-project, economic theory, and Norwegian industrial policy) in Praktisk økonomi & Ledelse, No. 1, 1993, pp. 57-66. Extended version published as NTNF's Future oriented technology policy, Fremtek-Notat No. 1/93: 'Porter-prosjektet, økonomisk teori og fremtidig industripolitikk', Oslo.
- 'Technology, evolutionary economics, and the world economic order - a Latin American perspective'. Paper presented at the 2nd Biennial Conference on Culture, Society and Change in the Americas, Merida, Venezuela, March 10-14, 1993. Published in Conference Proceedings, Universidad de los Andes & University of South Florida, pp. 37-56, and as Fremtek-Notat No. 9/93, Oslo.
- 'Catching-up from way behind - A Third World perspective on First World history' in Fagerberg, Jan, Bart Verspagen and Nick von Tunzelmann (eds.) The Dynamics of Technology, Trade, and Growth, Aldershot, Edward Elgar, 1994, pp. 168-197, and as Fremtek-Notat No. 8/93.
- Tjenestesektoren i det økonomiske helhetsbildet (The role of the service sector in the national economy). Paper produced for the Norwegian Research Council, Oslo. STEP Report No. 11/94. Downloadable on http://www.step.no/reports.asp?idAut=116
- 'Recent trends in economic theory - implications for development geography' (with Vemund Riiser). STEP Report No. 12/94, downloadable on http://www.step.no/reports.asp?idAut=116 , also in Hesselberg, Jan (ed.) Development Geography, University of Oslo, Department of Human Geography, 1994. Vol. 1, pp. 1-18.
- 'A Schumpeterian theory of underdevelopment - a contradiction in terms ?' STEP Report No. 15/94 http://www.step.no/reports.asp?idAut=116 and as 'Symptoms and causes of poverty: Underdevelopment in a Schumpeterian system' in Forum for Development Studies, Nr. 1-2, 1994 (Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI), Oslo), pp. 73-109.
- 'Hvorfor er økonomisk vekst geografisk ujevnt fordelt ?' (Why is economic growth geographically unevenly distributed ?). Paper produced for the Ministry of Regional Affairs, Oslo. STEP Report No. 19/94. Downloadable on http://www.step.no/reports.asp?idAut=116
- 'Konkurransedyktige bedrifter og økonomisk teori - mot en ny forståelse' (Competitive firms and economic theory - towards a new understanding) in Heum, Per & Dag Stokland (eds.), Internasjonalisering og nasjonal næringspolitikk (Internationalisation and national economic policy), Oslo, FAFO, 1994, pp. 51-74.
- 'The role of technology in the creation of rich and poor nations: Underdevelopment in a Schumpeterian system'. Presented at the Eleventh International Economic History Congress, Milan, September 1994 and at the World Conference of Historians, Montreal, August 1995. Published in Aldcroft, Derek H. and Ross Catterall (eds.), Rich Nations - Poor Nations. The long run perspective, Aldershot, Edward Elgar, 1996, pp. 161-188. Spanish translation 'El rol de la tecnologia en la creacièn de paises ricos y pobres: El subdesarrollo en un sistema Schumpeteriano' in Cuadernos, Lima, Peru, Vol. 7, No. 12, 2002, pp. 7-36. Chinese translation in Reinert & Genliang Jia (eds.), 2006.
- Naturressurser, avtagende skalautbytte og økonomisk vekst. Fiskerinæringens betydning for verdiskapning i distrikts-Norge (Natural resources, diminishing returns and economic growth. The role of the fisheries in the regional economies of Norway), (with Espen Dietrichs), Produced for the Ministry of Regional Affairs, Oslo. STEP/KAD-Notat No. 8/94.
- 'Technology transfer vs. technological learning: IT-infrastructure and health care in developing countries' (with Jørn Braa and Eric Monteiro) in IT and Development, 6 (1), 1995, pp. 15-23.
- 'Competitiveness and its predecessors - a 500 year cross-national perspective' in Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Vol. 6, 1995, pp. 23-42, special issue on 'Changes in long-term competitiveness: An historical perspective'. STEP Report No. 3/94. Working paper version downloadable on http://www.step.no/reports.asp?idAut=116. Also published in Brazil in: Archè Interdisciplinar, Vol VI, No. 15, 1997, pp. 5-34. Spanish translation: 'El concepto de ''competitividad'' y sus predecesores', Socialismo y Participacion No. 72, Lima, Peru, December 1995, pp. 21-41. Chinese translation in Reinert & Genliang Jia (eds.), 2006.
- 'Diminishing Returns and Economic Sustainability: The dilemma of resource-based economies under a free trade regime' in Hansen, Stein, Jan Hesselberg and Helge Hveem (eds.) International Trade Regulation, National Development Strategies and the Environment: Towards Sustainable Development?, Oslo, Centre for Development and the Environment, University of Oslo, 1996, pp. 119-150. Downloadable on http://www.othercanon.org/papers/
- 'Economics: The Dismal Science or The Never-ending Frontier of Knowledge. On Technology, Energy, and Economic Welfare' in Norwegian Oil Review, Vol. 22, No. 7, 1996, pp. 18-31.
- 'Det tekno-økonomiske paradigmeskiftet - konsekvenser for næringspolitikken' (The changing techno-economic paradigm - consequences for industrial policy). Norsk Investorforums Publikasjonsserie, No. 3/96. Also published in Norges Tekniske Vitenskapsakademi, Årbok 1996 (Yearbook of the Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences, 1996), Trondheim, 1997, pp. 85-100. Dowloadable on http://www.nifo.no/dokumenter.htm
- 'Raw Materials in the History of Economic Policy; or, Why List (the Protectionist) and Cobden (the Free Trader) Both Agreed on Free Trade in Corn.', Working Paper No. 11, 1996. SUM - Centre for Development and the Environment, University of Oslo and in Cook, Gary (ed.), The Economics and Politics of International Trade.Freedom and Trade Volume II, London, Routledge, 1998, pp. 275-300. Working paper version downloadable at http://www.sum.uio.no/publications/publica.html#wp
- 'Det tekno-økonomiske paradigmeskiftet. Konsekvenser for norske distrikts- og ressurbaserte næringer' (The Techno-Economic paradigm Shift: Consequences for Norwegian Regional and Resource-Based Industries). Report produced for the Norwegian Ministry of Regional Affairs and Norwegian Farmers' Association. Norsk Investorforums Publikasjonsserie No. 1, 1997. Oslo.
- 'Exploring the Genesis of Economic Innovations: The religious gestalt-switch and the duty to invent as preconditions for economic growth' (with Arno Daastøl) in European Journal of Law and Economics, Vol 4, No. 2/3, 1997, pp. 233-283, and in Christian Wolff. Gesammelte Werke, IIIrd series, Vol. 45, Hildesheim, Georg Olms Verlag, 1998. Chinese translation in Reinert & Genliang Jia (eds.), 2006.
- 'The Role of the State in Economic Growth.', Working Paper No. 5, 1997, SUM - Centre for Development and the Environment, University of Oslo, and in Journal of Economic Studies, vol. 26, No. 4/5, 1999, pp. 268-326. A shorter version of the paper published in Toninelli, Pier Angelo (ed.) The Rise and Fall of State-Owned Enterprises in the Western World, Cambridge University Press, 2000, pp. 73-99. Published in Estonian in Teadmistepõhine riik ja majandus, Artiklikogumik, Tallinn, Riigikantselei, 2004, pp. 37-83. and in Chinese in Hodgson, Geoffrey (ed.), A Modern Reader in Institutional and Evolutionary Economics, Beijing, Higher Education Press, 2005, pp. 219-290. Working paper version downloadable on http://www.sum.uio.no/publications/publica.html#wp
- 'Små og mellomstore bedrifter: Mot et klassifikasjonssystem av SMB i et dynamisk perspektiv med endringer i kunnskap og teknologi' (Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises: Towards a Classification System in a Dynamic Setting with Technological Change), Norwegian Research Council, SMB-Analyse, Notat No.13 (1997). Oslo.
- 'Ideer om utvikling - det historiske perspektiv' (Ideas on Economic Development - the Historical Perspective) (with Helge Hveem) in Benjaminsen, Tor A. & Hanne Svarstad (eds.), Samfunnsperspektiver på Miljø og Utvikling, Oslo, Tano, 1998, pp. 23-58.
- 'Ny teknologi og samfunnsmessig endring' (New Technology and Societal Change) (with Kristian Tangen), Oslo, Fridtjof Nansen Institute, FNI-rapport No. 8/98. Also published as Chapter 19 in a Norwegian Government White Paper on the energy sector in Norway towards 2020: Energi- og kraftbalansen mot 2020 (NOU 1998:11).
- 'Schumpeterian Mercantilism and the Role of the State: Lessons for Latin America', published in Spanish as 'Como distinguir los mejores mercados: Mercantilismo y modos de protección en Asia y en Latinoamérica', in Creación de Valor y Gerencia. ESAN Convención Empresarial 1997, Lima, Perú, ESAN, 1998, pp. 159-190.
- Regionale Strategier i Kunnskapssamfunnet (Regional Strategies in the Knowledge-Based Society), (with Egbert van de Schootbrugge), Oslo, Ministry of Regional Affairs, 1999, and Norsk Investorforum, Publication series, No. 3, 1999.
- 'Karl Bücher and the Geographical Dimensions of Techno-Economic Change' in Backhaus, Jürgen, (Ed.) Karl Bücher: Theory - History - Anthropology - Non-Market Economies, Marburg, Metropolis Verlag, 2000. Chinese translation in Reinert & Genliang Jia (eds.), 2006, pp. 177-222.
- 'Compensation Mechanisms and Targeted Economic Growth - Lessons from the History of Economic Policy' in Vivarelli, Marco & Mario Pianta (eds.), The Employment Impact of Innovation, London, Routledge, 2000, pp. 182-206.
- 'Full Circle: Economics from Scholasticism through Innovation and back into Mathematical Scholasticism. Reflections around a 1769 price essay: 'Why is it that Economics so Far has Gained so Few Advantages from Physics and Mathematics?'' in Journal of Economic Studies, Vol. 27, No. 4/5, 2000, pp. 364-376. Downloadable on http://www.othercanon.org/papers/
- 'Utvikling av attraktive tettsteder som regional strategi' (The Development of Urban Areas as a Regional Strategy) in Utvikling av miljøvennlige og attraktive tettsteder i distriktene, Oslo, Ministry of the Environment, 2000.
- 'Globalisation in the Periphery as a Morgenthau Plan: The Underdevelopment of Mongolia in the 1990's' in Lhagva, Sakhia, Mongolian Development Strategy; Capacity Building, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolian Development Research Center, 2000, pp. 82-143. Also published in Reinert, Erik (ed.), Globalization, Economic Development and Inequality: An Alternative Perspective, Cheltenham, Edward Elgar, 2004, pp. 157-214. http://www.othercanon.org/papers/
- 'Den Schumpeterianske Velferdsstaten og den produksjonsbaserte økonomiske teorien The Other Canon. Et sammendrag av to av Norsk Investorforums forsknings- og utredningsrprosjekter' (The Schumpeterian Welfare State and Production-Based Economic Theory: The Other Canon. A summary of two of Norsk Investorforum's Research Projects), Oslo, Norsk Investorforum, 2001, downloadable on http://www.nifo.no/Filer/01_01.pdf
- 'Norge mellom Kong Midas og Kong Status Quo'/'Norway between King Midas and King Status Quo' in Something Rotten in the State of Norway, UKS-Forum for Samtidskunst/UKS-Forum for Contemporary Art, No. 1-2, 2001, pp. 49-57 (Norwegian), pp. 114-123 (English). English version downloadable on http://www.uks.no/uksforum/arkiv/1201/rein.html
- 'Schumpeter in the Context of two Canons of Economic Thought' in Industry and Innovation, Vol. 6, No. 1, 2002, pp. 23-39. Chinese translation in Reinert & Genliang Jia (eds.), 2006. A different version published as 'Steeped in Two Mind-Sets: Schumpeter in the Context of the Two Canons of Economics', in Backhaus, Jürgen (ed.) Joseph Alois Schumpeter: Entrepreneurship, Style and Vision, Boston. Kluwer, 2003, pp. 261-292.
- 'Tekno-økonomiske paradigmeskifter og 'nye' økonomier; finnes de?' (Techno-economic paradigm shifts, and 'new' economies, do they exist) in Plan, Tidsskrift for samfunnsplanlegging, byplan og regional utvikling, No. 4-5/2002. pp. 4-15.
- 'Increasing Poverty in a Globalised World: Marshall Plans and Morgenthau Plans as Mechanisms of Polarisation of World Incomes' in Chang, Ha-Joon (ed.), Rethinking Economic Development, London, Anthem, 2003, pp. 453-478. http://www.othercanon.org/papers/
- 'An Early National Innovation System: the Case of Antonio Serra's 1613 Breve Trattato' (with Sophus Reinert) in Institutions and Economic Development/Istituzioni e Sviluppo Economico, Vol. 1, No. 3, 2003, pp. 87-119. Chinese translation in Reinert & Genliang Jia (eds.), 2006. http://www.othercanon.org/papers/
- 'Innovation Systems of the Past: Modern nation-states in a historical perspective. The role of innovations and of systemic effects in economic thought and policy' (with Sophus Reinert). Paper prepared for the 1st Globelics Conference, Rio de Janeiro, November 2003, published in conference volume on CD-ROM.
- Globalization, Economic Development and Inequality: An Alternative Perspective (editor), Cheltenham, Edward Elgar, series 'New Horizons in Institutional and Evolutionary Economics', 2004. Contributions by David Audretch, Jürgen Backhaus, Ådne Cappelen, Wolfgang Drechsler, Christopher Freeman, Michael Hudson, Bengt-Åke Lundvall & Dieter Ernst, Carlota Perez, Erik Reinert, Santiago Roca. 'Introduction', pp. 1-17.
- 'The Other Canon: The History of Renaissance Economics. Its Role as an Immaterial and Production-based Canon in the History of Economic Thought and in the History of Economic Policy' (with Arno Daastøl). In Reinert, Erik (Ed.), Globalization, Economic Development and Inequality: An Alternative Perspective, Cheltenham, Edward Elgar, 2004, pp. 21-70. Chinese translation in Reinert & Genliang Jia (eds.), 2006.
- Arctic Climate Impact Assessment, Impacts of a Warming Arctic Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2004. Consulting author to Chapter 17: 'Climate Change in the Context of Multiple Stressors and Resilience' (effects of climatic change on Saami reindeer herding). Downloadable on http://www.acia.uaf.edu/
- How Rich Nations got Rich. Essays in the History of Economic Policy. Working paper Nr. 1, 2004, SUM - Centre for Development and the Environment, University of Oslo (3 articles). Downloadable on http://www.sum.uio.no/publications/publica.html#wp
- 'Benchmarking Success: The Dutch Republic (1500-1750) as seen by Contemporary European Economists' in SUM (University of Oslo) Working paper No. 1, 2004. Forthcoming in Gelderblom, Oscar (editor), The Political Economy of the Dutch Republic, Aldershot, Ashgate, 2007. Chinese translation in Reinert & Genliang Jia (eds.), 2006. http://www.sum.uio.no/publications/publica.html#wp
- Global Økonomi. Hvordan de rike ble rike og hvorfor fattige blir fattigere (Global Economy. How the rich got rich and why the poor get poorer). Oslo, Spartacus, 2004. Serbian translation, Belgrade, (2006).
- 'The Qualitative Shift in European Integration: Towards Permanent Wage Pressures and a 'Latin-Americanization' of Europe?' (with Rainer Kattel) Praxis Working Paper no. 17, Praxis Foundation, Estonia. http://www.praxis.ee/data/WP_17_2004.pdf . Forthcoming in Brazil.
- 'The Austrians Economics and 'The Other Canon'', in Backhaus, Jürgen (ed.), Modern Applications of Austrian Thought, Milton Park, Routledge, 2005, pp. 253-298.
- 'The Other Canon and Uneven Growth: The Activity-Specific Elements of Economic Development', in Dymski, Gary and Silvana de Paula (eds.), Reimagining Growth, London, Zed, 2005, pp. 52-82.
- The Origins of Economic Development, How Schools of Economic Thought have Addressed Development, edited with Jomo, K. S., London, Zed Publications/New Delhi, Tulika Books, 2005. 'Introduction' (with Jomo K.S.), pp. vii-xxii.
- 'Mercantilism and Economic Development: Schumpeterian Dynamics, Institution Building and International Benchmarking' (with Sophus Reinert) in Jomo, K. S. and Erik S. Reinert (eds.) Origins of Economic Development, London, Zed Publications/New Delhi, Tulika Books, 2005, pp. 1-23. Chinese translation in Reinert & Genliang Jia (eds.), 2006.
- 'German Economics as Development Economics: From the Thirty Years War to World War II' in Jomo, K. S. and Erik S. Reinert (eds.), Origins of Economic Development, London, Zed Publications/New Delhi, Tulika Books, 2005, pp. 48-68. Chinese translation in Reinert & Genliang Jia (eds.), 2006.
- 'IT-Fornebu - næringspolitikk og skiftende virkelighetsforståelse' (IT-Fornebu - Industrial Policy and Shifting Conceptions of Reality) in Plan, Tidsskrift for samfunnsplanlegging, byplan og regional utvikling, No. 1, 2005, pp. 34-39.
- 'Development and Social Goals: Balancing Aid and Development to Prevent 'Welfare Colonialism' in Post-autistic economics review, issue no. 30, 21 March 2005, article 1, http://www.btinternet.com/~pae_news/review/issue30.htm . Complete version on United Nation Department of Social Affairs, DESA Working Paper No. 14, 2006, downloadable on http://www.un.org/esa/desa/papers/, and in Ocampo, Jose Antonio, Jomo K. S. and Sarbuland Khan (editors), Policy Matters: Economic And Social Policies To Sustain Equitable Development, United Nations, New York, Zed Books, London, Opus, New Delhi, 2006, pp. 192-221. Portuguese translation in Oikos. Revista de Economia Heterodoxa, Vol. 4, No. 4, 2005, pp. 45-67. Rio de Janeiro.
- 'A Brief Introduction to Veit Ludwig von Seckendorff (1626-1692)' in European Journal of Law and Economics, 19, May 2005, pp. 221-230.
- 'Evolusjonær teori, næringspolitikk og økonomisk vekst' (Evolutionary theory, industrial policy and economic growth) in RØST: Økonomisk Teori og Praksis, 2005-01, 43-53.
- 'En Styrket Industri' (A strengthened manufacturing sector) (with Jon Bingen) in Utfordringer og Muligheter 2005-2009. Notat fra Norge 2015 - Tenkeloft for en ny kurs, Oslo, Klassekampen, 2005, pp. 46-50.
- 'Developmental State, Concept of the', entry in McCusker, John J. (ed.) History of World Trade since 1450. Farmington Hills, MI: Macmillan Reference USA, 2005. Vol. 1, pp. 191-193.
- 'Creative Destruction in Economics: Nietzsche, Sombart, Schumpeter' (with Hugo Reinert) in Backhaus, Jürgen and Wolfgang Drechsler (eds.) Friedrich Nietzsche 1844-2000: Economy and Society, series The European Heritage in Economics and the Social Sciences, New York, Springer, 2006, pp. 55-85. Chinese translation in Reinert & Genliang Jia (eds.), 2006. http://www.othercanon.org/papers/
- 'Nietzsche and the German Historical School' (with Sophus Reinert) in Backhaus, Jürgen and Wolfgang Drechsler (eds.) Friedrich Nietzsche 1844-2000: Economy and Society, series The European Heritage in Economics and the Social Sciences, New York, Springer, 2006, pp. 111-135. http://www.othercanon.org/papers/
- 'Johann Heinrich Gottlob von Justi (1717-1771): The Life and Times of an Economist Adventurer' forthcoming Backhaus, Jürgen (ed.), Johann Friedrich Gottlob von Justi: The Beginning of Political Economy, series The European Heritage in Economics and the Social Sciences, Boston, Kluwer, 2006. http://www.othercanon.org/papers/
- 'A Bibliography of J.H.G. von Justi' (with Hugo Reinert) forthcoming in Backhaus, Jürgen (ed.) Johann Friedrich Gottlob von Justi: The Beginning of Political Economy, series The European Heritage in Economics and the Social Sciences, Boston, Kluwer, 2006. http://www.othercanon.org/papers/
- 'The Economics of Reindeer Herding: Saami Entrepreneurship between Cyclical Sustainability and the Powers of State and Oligopolies', British Food Journal, Vol. 108, No. 7, 2006, pp. 522-540. Special Issue on Small Scale Food Producers.
- 'Evolutionary Economics, Classical Development Economics, and the History of Economic Policy: A Plea for Theorizing by Inclusion', The Other Canon Foundation and Tallinn University of Technology Working Papers in Technology Governance and Economic Dynamics, No 1, 2006. Downloadable on http://hum.ttu.ee/tg/ A modified version 'Towards an Austro-German Theory of Uneven Economic Development? A Plea for Theorizing by Inclusion', forthcoming in Review of Austrian Economics, Vol. 20, Numbers 2/3, June 2007.
- 'European Integration, Innovations and Uneven Economic Growth: Challenges and Problems of EU 2005', Paper prepared for FISTERA (Foresight on Information Society Technologies in the European Research Area), in Compañó, R, C. Pascu, A. Bianchi, J-C. Burgelman, S. Barrios, M. Ulbrich, I. Maghiros (eds.), The Future of the Information Society in Europe: Contributions to the debate, Seville, Spain, European Commission, Directorate General Joint Research Centre. Institute for Prospective Technological Studies (IPTS), pp. 124-152.
- 'Teoretisk Utvikling: Om økonomifaget, frihandel og fattigdom' (Theoretical Development: On economics, free trade and poverty), in Marsdal, Magnus (ed.), Økonomisk Apartheid - nyliberalismens verdensordning, Oslo, Attac, 2006.
- Erik S. Reinert and Jia Genliang (eds.),The Other Canon of Economics: A Selection of Essays on Evolutionary Economics, Beijing, High Education Press, forthcoming December 2006. 2 volumes.
- 'Institutionalism Ancient, Old and New: a Historical Perspective on Institutions and Uneven Development'. Research Paper No. 2006/77, United Nations University, WIDER, Helsinki. Forthcoming 2007 in Chang, Ha-Joon (ed.), Institutional Change and Economic Development, Tokyo, United Nations University Press & London, Anthem. Chinese translation in Reinert & Genliang Jia (eds.), 2006.
- 'Saami Reindeer Pastoralism under Climatic Change: applying a Generalised Framework for Vulnerability Studies to a Sub-Arctic Social-Ecological System' (co-author), forthcoming in Global Environmental Change.
- How Rich Countries Got Rich and Why Poor Countries Stay Poor, London, Constable & Robinson, released April 2007.